Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Something Special for my Sweet Pea

A little over a year ago my 81 year old Grandmother passed away.  She'd suffered for several years with Alzheimer's disease, but she was a believer in Christ so her passing was a sweet victory for her.  Over the last year my dad and aunts have been going through her things distributing pieces as they find them.  I acquired a small wooden box.  It had been given to my dad and they didn't know what to do with it, but knew I could probably find a use.  It was an old sewing box/bin with a missing knob and had bangs and dings in it.  My first thought was something for my daughter.

My daughter is 10 and she will soon be coming of age...so they say.  She shares a bathroom with her two brothers and I want her to have something special for that feminine, growing up time of her life.  Something pretty yet discrete since their bathroom is also the main bathroom of the house.  I'd been looking for a pretty basket, but when I saw this box I knew it was perfect. 

I started by making a template or stencil in damask to add some Maison Blanche's glacage in black.  It gives a dimensional decorative element that I love and it can add a feminine touch to this otherwise plain box. 

 


Then I painted the whole box Maison Blanche's Vintage Furniture Paint in Wrought Iron.


Once that dried I applied 2 coats of Maison Blanche's Vintage Furniture Paint in Magnolia.  I used this technique and colors when I painted my microwave cart (which I just discovered I never posted about...wow, how far behind I am!!!  Here's a picture.) 

 
I let it dry overnight then distressed it with a damp white knit rag...the kind you get at Lowe's, Home Depot or in this case Harbor Freight and Tools.  As with sanding it's important to go slowly with how much rubbing you do.  If you don't it could take off more paint than you want.  I don't worry about the original color coming through.  It adds to the distressing, but I also don't want a ton of it showing.  So I just take my time.  I especially want to rub in places where wear would be normal.  For instance the edges, places where it's rough and dinged up or hand holds.  And I really distress over the glacage!!!  I want all the details showing through with that piece.

Once it was waxed with Maison Blanche's Clear Antique Wax I decoupaged torn piece of scrapbook paper to the bottom of the piece inside.  I always use Mod Podge to decoupage and once it's dry I paint another coat of mod podge to seal it.  I found two pretty little knobs at Hobby Lobby to add to the top and that finished it off.


 
I didn't tell her this project was for her...or what it was for.  I loaded it up with necessities and placed it in her bathroom then surprised her.  It's all ready for when she needs it...even though I am in NO way rushing it!!!
 
Till another day...
 
Jennifer


0 comments:

Post a Comment