Sunday, July 28, 2013

A Sort Of Coffee Table!!!

Good Sunday afternoon to you all!
 
I have to start off by telling you that I am working in a hostile environment.  My craft world has been invaded.  I'm running a graveyard...a June Bug graveyard!  This is my very least favorite part of summer.  You could go so far as to say that I absolutely HATE it...June Bugs.  They're gross, fat and love to buzz my ears.  GAAAAG!!!  So I haven't been out in the garage a lot lately.
 
(Do you have the heeby geebies?  I know I do...shutter!!!!!)
 I did manage to venture out this afternoon to finish up my latest project...a pallet coffee table.  Well, sort of....meaning it's sort of a pallet and sort of a coffee table at this point. 

See here's how it goes. 

My hubby brought home this cute little pallet the other day. 


It measured 42" by 26".  I instantly thought "Coffee Table!"  So I set off to make one.  I just needed to add a few boards to the top; noooo problem.  In doing our figuring we decided to replace all the top boards and change the dimensions to 24"x42" so we only needed an 8' board, and we'd add MDF to the bottom to make a solid shelf-like area.  So off to HD I went. 


I purchased a 1x6x8 and had them cut to 24" lengths.  I painted that in Simply White by Cece Caldwell's.



I purchased a 1x4x8 and had it cut to the 24" lengths and painted that in Mardi Gras by Maison Blanche.


And finally I purchased a 1x2x8, had it cut to the 24" lengths and painted it in Traverse City Cherry by Cece Caldwell's.

While I painted my hubby decided to pull apart the top of the pallet.  After a few broken boards, broken skin and perhaps a few naughty words he announced that he was DONE with the pallet and would simply purchase the 2x4 we needed and add the MDF to the bottom of that.  So suddenly my pallet coffee table was now a pallet INSPIRED coffee table...since it has NEVER been used as a pallet. 

Oh, well, I tried to recycle...

Sooo, back to HD we went...and added to the list were casters and all the screws needed to finish the project.


We purchased a 2x4x12 board and had HD cut it down to 3-42" pieces with a bit to spare.  We also purchased a 2'x4'x1/2" MDF board, 2 free spinning and 2 free spinning, but locking, casters and all the extras.  I painted all the remaining boards in the Simply White by Cece Caldwell's.  I wanted the majority of the body to be the lighter color with accents of green and red. (these are the colors I've used in my living room...I'll show you that in a later post :-) )


Once everything was painted I applied Maison Blanche's clear wax on everything...PREASSEMBLED!!!  I knew that once the assembly process was done I wouldn't be able to get in all the small areas to wax it properly, so I waxed and buffed every piece separately. 

Once everything was painted and ready my hubby and dad got busy putting it all together.  They're much more handy with this type of thing than I am...I end up just getting on my hubby's nerves in the way!!!



They started by lining up the bottom with the edge 2x4s and adding the casters (2-1/2 inch screws to go into just the MDF and 2-1 1/2 inch screws to go through the MDF and into the 2x4).  Then they added more screws to secure the bottom to the 2x4s.  Once they turned it over I lined up the top boards in the pattern I wanted and held it while they used a countersink drill bit to drill through the top boards and into the 2x4.  They screwed it all down and it was done!!!


Remember...this is pallet inspired so imperfection is the point...just wanted to make sure and POINT that out...tee hee!


We took it inside to try it out I decided it was really a lot shorter than I'd hoped for...so there are plans to add on to it, but that's for a different day.  It also needed to be dark waxed, but since we planned to add on to it I thought I'd wait.  It stayed in my living room for a week and was very handy...especially for my Silhouette Cameo!!!


It fits perfectly with my laptop beside it.  Plus it keeps my Silhouette up off the floor when I need to use it (this is not its normal home by the way!!!). 

Today, however, I couldn't stand it any more.  It went outside to the hostile environment and got a dark wax coat.

It was WAY too bright for my taste!!!
 
 
So after some Maison Blanche Dark Wax, some buffing followed by MORE buffing...and then some MORE BUFFING...here's the finished product!
 

I love how white paint looks with dark wax.  So much yummy detail!




Did I mention how much I like the dark wax on white?  Huh...huh???


OOhhh Shiny!!! (Been watching way to much Wolverine this weekend with the kids!)


And it comes with magazine/book cubbies!

 
It seems to be more of a footstool at this point than a coffee table...oh well...sigh!
 
Till the next time...I'll just put up my feet and enjoy my newest Treasure!!!
 
Jennifer

Sunday

Monday


Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday


Friday


Saturday

 
 
 
 


6 comments:

  1. I LOVE the stripes! It turned out really cute!! Do you have Twitter or FB? I wanted to give you a shout out.

    Oh, and you also have captcha turned on-- if you're not getting many comments this could be why. Hope you're having a fabulous day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've fixed that...still getting to know this whole thing. Thank you!

      I only have my personal Facebook and rarely use Twitter right now.

      Delete
  2. Very cute! Love the stripes, the wheels and the cubbies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! It turned out beautiful. I'd love for you to link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-diyers-and-my-new-rug.html

    ReplyDelete